An area of education which deals with different topics related to functional aspects of hoteliers is called Hotel Management. Different hotel management courses cover varied topics such as ecotourism, marketing, Business administration, leisure and Business management. The primary role in Hotel Management is of a Hotel Manager.
About a Hotel Manager
It is a job, referred to as Hotel Manager, who coordinates several functional operations of a hotel for its successful running. He is responsible for employee management, planning, administration and coordination of various hotel services. Management of a hotel needs skills and knowledge of a wide range of hotel aspects such as accommodation, catering, reception and so on. They deal with the handling and operation of a hotel. This field of education is interesting and diverse. It is a challenging degree program with ample job opportunities all over the world.
What is involved?
This educational degree trains the students effectively the skills to handle various responsibilities such as:
- Restaurant and bar operations
- Reception and concierge operations
This gives ample opportunities abroad as well. Studying this degree abroad offers knowledge of the foreign language and its culture as well. It’s a different experience and a chance for a bright career.
Responsibilities of a Hotel Manager
- Staff supervisions
- Budget Management
- Maintenance of financial and statistical records
- Planning of events, maintenance, booking rooms and so on.
- Handling customer queries and complaints
- Marketing and promotions
- Compliance with safety and health licensing and legislation laws.
Where are they hired?
Hotel Managers are hired by
- Hotel chains
- Residential clubs
- Independent hotels/ motels
- Hotel/ leisure groups
- Key skills needed
- Good stamina and reliability
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Good numerical skills especially for office-based and finance-based roles.
- Good communication skills
- Nice interpersonal skills
- Customer service skills
- An added advantage is knowledge of a foreign language(s)
There are hotel management courses for 10+2 pass to graduate-level courses. Graduates can get a PG diploma in hotel management. To get into work, relevant experience is needed.
Different Courses in Hotel Management:
- Bachelor’s degrees in Hotel Management
- Diploma programs in Hotel Management
- Masters degrees in Hotel Management
Other roles included in the Hotel Management team are of a Front Office Manager, Housekeeping Manager, Food and Beverage Manager, Restaurant and Food Service Manager, Chef, Banquet Manager, Steward, and Floor Supervisors.